Known ForSinging, Music Composition
Full Name:Jagmohan Singh Dhiman
Profession:Singer, Music Composer, Director
Date of Birth:8th February 1941
Date of Death:10th October 2011
Place of Deat:Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai, India
Birthplace:Sriganganagar, Rajasthan , India
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Height:5.10 (1.78 m )
Weight:75 kg (165 Lbs )
Hair Color:Salt & Pepper
Eye Color:Dark Brown
Jagjit Singh was a legendary Indian Singer, Composer, Playback Singer, Musician and Music Director. He was stated to as “Ghazal King”. Jagjit has sung songs in multiple languages like Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali, Gujarati and Sindhi.
He was born in Sriganganagar, Rajasthan, India on February 8, 1941. Jagjit Singh was born to Bachan Kaur and Amar Singh. He has two brothers named Jaswant Singh and Kartar Singh and a sister named Inderjit Kaur. He was married to a renowned singer named Chitra Singh in the year1969. The couple had a son who died in an accident in 1990.
Jagjit Singh took his first musical training under the supervision of Pandit Chaganlal Sharma. He learned Dhrupad, Khayal and Thumri forms of classical music under Guru Jamaal Khan. With the intention of pursuing a career in music, he settled in Mumbai in the year1965. Jagjit Singh has composed a number of Ghazal Albums. A few of his most remarkable movies are Sarforash, Saath Saath, Tarkeeb, Tum Bin and Prem Geet just to name a few. Jagjit has worked for more than five decades in Bollywood industry and to his credit name; he has released more than 80 music albums. He composed and recorded songs written by previous Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayeeji and these music albums are Nayi Disha and Samvedna.
Jagjit Singh was the notable Indian composer to maneuver multi-track music recording for his popular album, Beyond Time in the year1987. Besides Ghazals, he has also sung a number of Bhajans and Gurbani. His renowned music albums are Hare Krishna, Maa, Man Jeetai Jagjeet and Hey Ram Hey Ram amongst others. Last time he performed in a concert held in the year 2011 in Indian Public School, Dehradun.
He died on October 10, 2011 at Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai, India. He was suffering from brain hemorrhage and was in coma for more than two weeks.
Facts You Never Knew About Jagjit Singh !
- At his birth, Jagjit was named Jagmohan. Though, his earnest Sikh father gave him the name Jagjit, on the suggestion of his Guru.
- Jagjit Singh early life was spent in Bikaner, just because his father was posted there as an employee for PWD.
- In the year1948, Jagjit returned to his hometown Sri Ganganagar and initiated his training under the supervision of a blind teacher named Pandit Chhaganlal Sharma. Afterward, he took music training under the supervision of Ustad Jamal Khan.
- Firstly, his father desired Jagjit to pursue his career as an engineer and also dreamed him to appear for UPSC exams.
- Still, a kid Jagjit initiated singing Shabads in Gurdwaras parades on birthdays of Sikh Gurus.
- For higher education, Jagjit Singh joined DAV College Jalandhar as its Principal had waived tuition and hostel fees for brilliant musician students.
- When in Jalandhar, Jagjit joined All India Radio that had put him under class of B grade singers and permitted him 6 live musical segments a year for small payments.
- In the year 1962, Jagjit Singh composed a welcoming song for visiting Indian president, Rajendra Prasad.
Jagjit Singh Education
Qualification: A degree in Arts from DAV College
School: Khalsa High School, Sriganganagar, Rajasthan India
College: Govt. College, Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan , India
DAV College, Jhalandar
Kurkshetra University , Haryana
Jagjit Singh Gallery
Jagjit Singh Career
Profession: Singer, Music Composer, Director
Known For: Singing, Music Composition
Debut TV Series/Movie: In 1961, he took all singing and composing assignments at All India Radio (AIR), Jhalandar, India Movie- Arth (1982) (Playback Singing)
Family & Relatives
Father: Sardar Aman Singh Dhiman
Mother: Sardarni Bachchan Kaur
Marital Status: Married
Wife/Girlfriend: Chitra Singh
Son(s): Vivek ( died in 1990)
Daughter(s): Monica ( Step Daughter) Died