Nickname:Ray, Satyajit, God, Manik
Full Name:Satyajit Ray
Profession:Director, Score Composer, Producer, Screenwriter, Writer, Lyricist, Music Director, Costume designer, Editor
Nationality:23 April 1992
Date of Birth:2 May 1921
Date of Death:April 23, 1992
Place of Death:Kolkata, India
Cause of Death:Heart Block
Birthplace:Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Height:6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
Weight:83 Kg (182 Pounds)
Eye Color:Dark Brown
Satyajit Ray was an Indian Filmmaker, Film Director, Lyricist, Screenwriter, Illustrator, Composer, Publisher, Writer, Calligrapher and Graphic Designer who primarily recognized for his work in Hindi, Bengali and English movies. Satyajit Ray was born in Kolkata, India on 2nd May, 1921.
Satyajit’s mom took him to his parental uncle’s home right after the death of her husband and closing the printing business which ray’s grandpa initiated. In early days, Satyajit Ray’s mom was his teacher though after settling in Brahmo samaj, Satyajit Ray attended Ballygunj Govt. School at his 8 years of age. This was the time when he bowed around and persuaded towards movies and classical music, for which Satyajit used to read magazines like Picturegoer and Photoplay.
In the year 1936, Satyajit Ray attended Presidency College on his mom’s desire wherein he studied Science though afterwards shifted towards Economics in the last year as his Uncle guaranteed him a job. In the year 1939, a new Alumna came and mother desired him to be settled down with the intention of earning livelihood and proposed him to be a portraitist where he finally agreed after immense resistance. Satyajit Ray joined Rabaindra Nath Tagore’s Vishva Bharti Art University. All through this time, he came to know about mini painting, Japanese woodcuts and Chinese landscapes. In the year 1943, Satyajit Ray linked himself with a British-based promotional agency named D.J. Keymer. Satyajit was a visualizer there.
Satyajit Ray spent around 13 years here, till he emerged as a full-time film producer after the success of the movie Pather Panchali. On 26th August, 1955, Satyajit Ray efficaciously launched his movie titled Pathar panchali in Kolkata from his experience in advertising. In his 40 years of film production, he was interjected by poor health and suffered two heart attacks all through the shooting of film Ghare Baire, wherein his son Sandip Ray finished the remaining work.
In the year 1992, Satyajit Ray received Lifetime Achievement Award in Kolkata by way of a special animate satellite-TV event as well as Bharat Ratna, the definitive honor from India. Satyajit died on 23th April, 1992 in Kolkata, India in his 71 years of age. He was facing heart complexities. He was hospitalized though never get back to normal condition and finally died.
In the year 1949, Satyajit Ray was married to his cousin named Bijoya, who resides in her parental Uncle’s house. The couple was blessed with a son named Sandip Ray. Satyajit’s grandfather named Upendrakishore Ray was a renowned Writer, Poet, painter and Violin player too.
Facts You Never Knew About Satyajit Ray!
- Satyajit Ray was commonly known as ‘Manik da’ as an emblem of respect.
- His movies have captured 32 National Awards by Indian Government out of which six are for Best Film Director.
- In the year 1987, Satyajit was bestowed with Legion of Honor Award by French president.
- He produced the first colored Bengali movie titled Kanchenjunga which is also regarded the first Indian anthology movie.
- In 1947, together with other film historians and film contemporaries, Satyajit inaugurated Calcutta Film Society.
- Satyajit Ray was a huge fanatic of paintings and arts and also created a documentary titled the Inner Eye on life of the blind artiste Benode Bihari Mukherjee.
- Ray was not a prolific director, but also a pioneer music composer, calligrapher, fiction writer, set designer, graphic designer and a staunch film critic.
- His movies have bagged 32 National Awards by the Government of India out of which 6 are for Best Director.
- Ray has four Roman typefaces patented under his name viz. Ray Romano, Ray Bizarre, Daphnis and Holiday Script. The 1st two winning an international competition in 1971.
- Ray was a proficient writer and has written a number of book and is the creator of the famous Bengali sleuth Feluda and scientist Professor Shonku.
Satyajit Ray Education
School: Not Available
College: University of Calcutta
Satyajit Ray Gallery
Satyajit Ray Career
Profession: Director, Score Composer, Producer, Screenwriter, Writer, Lyricist, Music Director, Costume designer, Editor
Debut TV Series/Movie: Not Available
Salary: Not Available
Net Worth: Not Available
Family & Relatives
Father: Sukumar Ray
Mother: Suprabha Ray
Brother(s): Not Available
Sister(s): Not Available
Marital Status: Married
Wife/Girlfriend: Bijoya Ray
Son(s): Sandip Ray
Daughter(s): Not Available
Satyajit Ray Favorites
Hobbies: Not Available
Favorite Food: Not Available
Favorite Color: Black
Mehar Risky Wish Mehar Risky Happy Birthday
Witt Lowry Wish Witt Lowry Happy Birthday
Hazel Keech Wish Hazel Keech Happy Birthday
Dilan Cicek Deniz Wish Dilan Cicek Deniz Happy Birthday
Quinn Shephard Wish Quinn Shephard Happy Birthday