Nickname:The Queen of Indipop
Full Name:Asha Bhosle
Profession:Indian playback singer, Vocalist
Age (as of 2019):86 years old
Date of Birth:8 September 1933
Birthplace:Sangli, Sangli State, Maharashtra, British India
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Height:5'2" (0 m)
Body Measurements:34-27-36 Inches
Asha Bhosle was born on 8 September 1933 in Sangli. Asha is an Indian singer and vocalist. She is best known as a playback vocalist in Hindi cinema, in spite of the fact that she has a wider repertoire. Bhosle’s career began in 1943 and has crossed over six decades. She has done playback singing for over a thousand Bollywood films. Furthermore, she has recorded several private albums and took part in numerous solo concerts in India and abroad.
Asha father was an actor and classical singer on Marathi Musical stage. When she was nine years of age, her father died. The family moved from Pune to Kolhapur and after that to Mumbai. She and her elder sister Lata Mangeshkar started singing and acting in films to support their family
By the 1980s, Bhosle, although profoundly regarded for her abilities and versatility. In 1981 she endeavored a various genre by singing several ghazals for the Rekha-starred Umrao Jaan, including “Dil Cheez Kya Hai”, “In Aankhon Ki Masti Ke”, “Yeh Kya Jagah Hai Doston” and “Justaju Jiski Thi”. The ghazals won her the first National Film Award of her career. A few years later, she won another National Award for the song “Mera Kuchh Saamaan” from Ijaazat (1987).
Nayyar initially met Asha in 1952, at the music recording of Chham Chhama Chham. He first called her for a movie called Mangu (1954) and offered her a big break in CID (1956). The team of O.P. Nayyar and Asha Bhosle are best associated for their breezy and sometimes sirenish songs and melodies. Some good examples of their sensuous numbers are “Aaiye Meherbaan” picturized on Madhubala (Howrah Bridge, 1958) and “Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfon Ka Andhera” picturized on Mumtaz (Mere Sanam, 1965). “Aao Huzoor Tumko” (Kismat) and “Jaaiye Aap Kahan” (Mere Sanam) were also popular. They likewise recorded songs for many hit movies like Tumsa Nahin Dekha(1957), Ek Musafir Ek Hasina (1962) and Kashmir Ki Kali (1964).
A.R.Rahman is credited with Asha’s “comeback” with Rangeela (1994). Songs like “Tanha Tanha” and “Rangeela Re” were chartbusters. She and Rahman went on to record more hits like “Mujhe Rang De” (Thakshak), “Radha Kaise Na Jale” (Lagaan, a duet with Udit Narayan), “Kahin Aag Lage” (Taal), and “O Bhanware”
In 1989, during a world tour, she performed in 13 US cities in 20 days. Promptly after this, she had an effectively sold-out concert scheduled in Stockholm, Sweden. In the mid-1980s, Asha sang with Boy George (“Bow down mister”) and Stephen Lauscombe. In 1997, she sang a love song with the boy band Code Red, at the age of 64. She also recorded the song “The Way You Dream” (One Giant Leap, with Michael Stipe that was used in the English movie, Bulletproof Monk.
Renowned for her voice range and often credited for her versatility, Bhosle’s work includes film music, pop, ghazals, bhajans, traditional Indian classical music, folk songs, qawwalis, and Rabindra Sangeets.
Stay connected to find out more about Asha Bhosle and her LifeStyle.
Read Also: Suresh Ishwar Wadhkar and his LifeStyle.
Facts You Never Knew About Asha Bhosle!
- Apart from Hindi, Asha has sung in over 20 Indian and foreign languages.
- In 2006, Asha Bhosle stated that she had sung over 12,000 songs, a figure repeated by several other sources.
- In 2011, Asha was officially acknowledged by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most recorded artist in music history.
- The Government of India honored her with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
- In 2013, she made her debut as an actress in the film Mai and received critical acclaim for her performance.
- In a rare feat, noted lyricist Gulzar, music director R.D. Burman and Asha Bhosle came together in 1987 to create a double album, titled Dil Padosi Hai, which was released on 8 September 1987.
- Asha sang the title duet with Adnan Sami for his best-selling album Kabhi to Nazar milao. The two came together again in the album Barse Badal. The album comprises eight songs, based on Indian Classical music.
- She contributed the song Yun Na Thi to the recording Womad Talking Book Volume Four: An Introduction to Asia 1 on Womad Records.
- Asha Bhosle is the sister of playback singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- She sang her first film song ‘”Chala Chala Nav Bala” for the Marathi film Majha Bal (1943). The music for the film was composed by Datta Davjekar.
- In 1997, the British band Cornershop paid tribute to Asha with their song “Brimful of Asha,” an international hit which was later remixed by Fatboy Slim. In 2001, the CD single of Nelly Furtado’s “I’m Like a Bird” included a “Nellie vs. Asha Remix” created by Digital Cutup Lounge.
- Asha’s first husband Ganpatrao was her personal secretary. At the age of 16, she eloped with 31-year-old Ganpatrao Bhosle, marrying him against her family’s wishes.
- Their marriage failed miserably in 1960. Her husband and in-laws mistreated her. After a few years of marriage, Asha was turned out by a suspicious Ganpatrao and she went to her maternal home with two children while pregnant with her third child. She continued to sing in films to earn money. Asha married Rahul Dev Burman in 1980. This was the second marriage for both Rahul and Asha. Rahul, 6 years younger than her, earlier got divorced from Rita Patel in 1971.
- Asha is an excellent cook and cooking is her favorite hobby. The love of cooking got Asha into a successful restaurant business. She runs restaurants in Dubai and Kuwait called Asha’s. Asha’s offers traditional north-western Indian cuisine.
- Asha made her Hindi film debut when she sang the song “Saawan Aaya” for Hansraj Behl’s Chunariya (1948).] Her first solo Hindi film song was for the movie Raat Ki Raani (1949).
Asha Bhosle Education
Qualification: Not Available
School: Not Available
Asha Bhosle Career
Profession: Indian playback singer, Vocalist
Debut TV Series/Movie: Marathi- song Chala Chala Nav Bala in movie Majha Bal (1943)
Hindi- song Saawan Aaya in movie in the Marathi film, Chunariya (1948)
Salary: Not Available
Net Worth: $10 million (as in 2016)
Family & Relatives
Father: Deenanath Mangeshkar (Actor)
Mother: Shevanti Mangeshkar
Brother(s): Hridayanath Mangeshkar
Sister(s): Usha Mangeshkar (younger), Lata Mangeshkar, Meena khadikar (younger)
Marital Status: Widow
- Ganpatrao Bhosle
- R. D. Burman
- O. P. Nayyar (Rumoured)