Full Name:Sharmila Tagore (Aka Begum Ayesha Sultana)
Age (as of 2019):74 years old
Date of Birth:8 December 1944
Birthplace:Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Height:5 ft 4 Inches (1.62 m)
Weight:55 kg (121 lbs)
Body Measurements:34-28-36 Inches
Dress Size:8 (US)
Hair Color:Dark Brown
Eye Color:Dark Brown
Sharmila Tagore, also recognized as Begum Ayesha Sultana, is a renowned Indian movie actress. From 2004 to 2011, she led Indian movie Censor Board. Sharmila Tagore was nominated as a Goodwill UNICEF Ambassador in the year 2005. She was also one of the board members of Global Competition at Cannes Film Festival 2009.
Sharmila Tagore was born in Hyderabad, Indian on 8th December 1946. She married to yesteryear captain of Indian cricket team named Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi in the year 1969. The couple has three kids named Saif Ali Khan, Soha Ali Khan and Saba Ali Khan.
Sharmila Tagore made her first Bollywood appearance with Satyajit Ray’s movie Apur Sansar. She was only 14 years old once she played the role of a young wife Aparna in the movie. Although she didn’t have any past experience in acting, she acted so proficiently that Ray featured her in his next movie Devi. She performed in a few other Ray’s movies i.e. Aranyer Din Ratri, Seemabaddha and Nayak.
In the year1964, Sharmila Tagore appeared in Shakti Samanta’s movie Kashmir Ki Kali, which instantaneously made her a superstar of Bollywood. Samanta afterwards featured her in a number of megahit movies like Aradhana, An Evening in Paris, Amar Prem etc. Samanta coupled her with famous actor Rajesh Khanna who became a renowned couple of Bollywood at that point of time.
Sharmila Tagore’s movie Aradhana was one of her most notable movies. Some of her notable films include Mausam, Amanush, New Delhi Times and Anand Ashram. This stunning actress stole the heart of masses with her charming beauty and almond-shaped eyes. Sharmila Tagore has starred with some of illustrious actors of that time like Manoj Kumar, Dharmendra, Shammi Kapoor, Shashi Kapoor, Sanjeev Kumar, Jeetendra, Amitabh Bachchan and Rajesh Khanna. A few of her remarkable movies are Choti Bahu, Aradhana, Safar, Daag, Mausam, Amar Prem, Faraar, Mere Humdam Mere Dost, Mere Humsafar and An Evening in Paris.
Facts You Never Knew About Sharmila Tagore!
- Sharmila Tagore is the granddaughter of famous poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- She was born in Hyderabad city but spent a few years of her childhood in Kolkata.
- She got offers to work in movies at her 13 years of age.
- Sharmila Tagore was not brilliant in studies. Her attendance in school was very short; she came to be considered as a negative influence on her teachers and schoolmates and even encountered a choice of either studying further or doing films.
- Sharmila’s younger sister Oindrila was the first in family to appear in a movie, and the only character she played was that of “Mini” in the movie Kabuliwala.
- She was the first female Actress to seem in a bikini for the movie An Evening in Paris which considered her as a sex symbol in Indian movies.
- In the year 1968, she also modeled in a bikini for the Filmfare magazine.
- Prior being married to famous cricketer Mansoor Ali Khan, Sharmila rehabilitated to Islam and also amended her name to Ayesha Sultana.
- Her Husband Mansoor Ali Khan was the Nawab of Pataudi family and previous captain of Indian cricket team.
Sharmila Tagore Education
Qualification: Not Known
School: • Loreto Convent, Asansol, West Bengal, India,
• St. John's Diocesan Girls' Higher Secondary School, Kolkata
Sharmila Tagore Gallery
Sharmila Tagore Career
Debut TV Series/Movie: Bengali Film– Apur Sansar (The World of Apu) (1959)
Hindi Film– Kashmir Ki Kali (1964)
Net Worth: $ 2 Million
Family & Relatives
Father: Gitindranath Tagore
Mother: Ira Baruah
Sister(s): late Oindrila Kunda (Tinku Tagore), Romila Sen (Chinky Tagore)
Marital Status: Widow
Husband/Boyfriend: Mansoor Ali Khan
Son(s): Saif Ali Khan (Actor)
Daughter(s): Saba Ali Khan and Soha Ali Khan (Actress)