Nickname:Kaka, First Indian Super Star
Full Name:Jatin Khanna
Date of Birth:29 December 1942
Date of Death:28 July 2012
Place of Death:Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Birthplace:Amritsar, Punjab, India
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Height:5’ 8” (1.73 m)
Weight:88 kg (194 lbs)
Rajesh Khanna was a legendary Indian movie actor, filmmaker as well as a politician. He has appeared in more than17 short films and feature films. He was bestowed with three Filmfare Awards for the Best Actor and was nominated more than14 times for the same category; Rajesh Khanna also received four BFJA Awards for the Best Actor and was elected 25 times. In the year 2005, Rajesh Khanna was bestowed with Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award. He was recognized as “Hindi filmdom’s original superstar”.
Born in Amritsar, Punjab, Indian on 29th December 1942, Rajesh Khanna was espoused and raised by adoptive parents who were family relatives of his parents. He joined St. Sebastian’s Goan High School. Throughout school days, Rajesh Khanna leisurely took interest in theatre and did a number of theater plays in school. In early 60s, he endeavored hard as a newcomer in order to get work in films and theater. In March 1973, Rajesh Khanna married to famous actress Dimple Kapadia and the couple has two daughters.
In the year1966, Rajesh Khanna made his first acting debut with the movie Aakhri Khat. He was noted for his remarkable performances in movies like Baharon Ke Sapne, Aurat, Ittefaq, Aradhana and Doli. In the year 1971, the movie Haathi Mere Saathi became his megahit and also top grossing movie at that time. In the year1991, he was bestowed with special Filmfare Award for having starred as the solo leading hero in 101 movies. Rajesh gave 22 Silver Jubilee Hits and 35 Golden Jubilee Hits.
Rajesh Khanna has also been an active Member of Parliament for Congress Party. In the year 2012, he was noted in his first and last television commercial. In June 2012, it was stated that Rajesh Khanna’s health had been worsening for a long period of time and he was recurrently admitted to hospital owing to some problems in health. On 18th July 2012, the megastar Rajesh Khanna passed away at his home in Mumbai.
Facts You Never Knew About Rajesh Khanna!
- Rajesh Khanna was an espoused child. He was espoused by his biological Father’s family relative named Chunni Lal Khanna, who was very rich.
- Rajesh’s father was against his acting, after that he partaken in a talent competition, organized by Filmfare, which he won amongst 10,000 contestants.
- His first movie, Akhri Khat was elected for Oscar awards and went till last five.
- Rajesh Khanna was desired to marry Anju Mahendru, who was in a romantic relationship with him for more than 7 years. Though, Anju was not ready for a marriage, so they separated their ways. Fascinatingly, when Rajesh was getting married to Dimple Kapadia, while moving to wedding venue, he gone through the same street in which Anju resided.
- He was the first Bollywood actor to have won the title of Super Star by film critics.
- For 3 decades of his career, he starred in only 20 movies, which appeared more than one male leading actor.
- His famous song “Roop Tera Mastana” from the movie Aradhna was filmed only in a single shot.
- In his 45 years long career, Rajesh worked in more than 180 movies.
Rajesh Khanna Education
Qualification: B. A.
School: St. Sebastian's Gaon High School, Mumbai
College: Nowrosjee Wadia College, Pune
K.C. College, Mumbai
Rajesh Khanna Gallery
Rajesh Khanna Career
Debut TV Series/Movie: Film: Aakhri Khat (1966)
Playback Singing: “O Mere Sajna, O Mere Balma” in film ‘Baharo k Sapne’ with Lata Mangeshkar
Political: Rajesh Khanna started campaigning for the Indian National Congress (INC) in 1984.
Family & Relatives
Father: Lala Hiranand (Biological Father, Headmaster), Chunnilal Khanna (Adoptive Father)
Mother: Chandrani Khanna (Biological Mother), Leelawati Khanna (Adoptive Mother)
Marital Status: Married
Wife/Girlfriend: Dimple Kapadia, Actress (m. March 1973, div. April 1982)