8 Things You Didn’t Know About Kevin Costner
1. Chooses To Portray Moralistic CharactersEvery actor chooses the roles he or she plays with care. Costner frequently chooses to play characters who have a strong moral compass and a sense of justice.
2. Amazing WillpowerCostner used to smoke for fun, according to a Rolling Stones interview. He never allowed himself to become addicted and was able to quit when “it stopped being fun.” It just goes to show that Costner has the kind of willpower that most of us can only wish for. 
3. Used His Athleticism And Sport To Fit InAccording to an interview on The Dan Patrick Show, Costner grew up constantly changing schools, and when he entered a new school, he tried to find a place where he could fit in, and sports seemed like a natural fit. He was a basketball, baseball, and football player. 
4. Took A Break For FamilyKevin Costner took four years off from acting around the turn of the decade to help raise his family. Costner has made it his mission to love and support them all. Rather than wishing for professional success, Costner wishes to be present for his children at all times.
5. Avid MusicianDuring his four-year family leave, Costner worked on several other projects. He was in “Kevin Costner and the Modern West”, his band, toured. He plays the piano in the band, which plays country-rock.
6. EnvironmentalistHe is an environmentalist. As he collaborated with former UCLA engineering professor “Eric Hoek” to filter oil and gas-contaminated water. In addition, he has invested millions of dollars in environmental efforts.
7. Horse Riding SkillsHe is well-known for his horseback riding abilities, and he rides alone in all of his films, including the iconic buffalo hunt scene in “Dances With Wolves.”
8. NASCAR’s Grand MarshalIn 2007, he was named the “NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Auto Club 500’s” ceremonial Grand Marshal at California Speedway. He collaborated with the “NASCAR Media Group” and “CMT Films” to produce “The Ride of Their Lives,” a NASCAR documentary.